Saturday, April 20, 2013

Top Ten Terrific Tales {no. 3}

sigh I agree.....
  1. Anne's House of Dreams by Lucy Maud Montgomery. The fifth in the Anne series. 
  2. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. You know what's awful? I hardly even remember reading this book. I recall reading the other Austen works pretty well, but not this one so much. I finished it in early September of 2011, I think (I was on the Austen roll and reading her books that summer and early fall). But I don't really know if I liked it that well or not . . . I don't think it was my "absolute favorite" of hers. Amazingly, I like her less popular ones--Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey--most of her six major works.
  3. The Howards of Caxley by Miss Read. This is the one that has all of the divorces and remarriages . . . and I was a little uncomfortable with that--and the fact that the protagonist is an atheist. I wouldn't really encourage younger peeps to read this book.
  4. Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder. Which I'm sure all of you have read. . . .
  5. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. Book One in the extremely well-known The Chronicles of Narnia series. Another one most of you have read.
  6. Christy by Catherine Marshall. This is such a lovely read (you can actually find out my complete thoughts by reading the review). So original, beautifully written. . . . However, some thematic material makes this a better read for a teen or more mature tween.
  7. The Princess Bride by S. Morgernstern (abridged by William Goldman). I love this story--but I've only read it once! I'm kind of annoyed with myself, as I saw it at a GoodWill in January and failed to pick it up because I misunderstood its price. Then when I realized the real price, I still didn't get it. . . . My only advice is not to read Goldman's words peppered throughout the story. He divorced his wife before abridging it--or at least before that edition was released--and still had some angst against her, I guess, and then there was a bit about a mind affair with himself and another woman. . . . Yeah. I don't even know why he talked so much (or at all, besides the introduction--which is also very long and certainly not worth reading).
  8. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll ad Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson. I read this novella in a day--surprising because I usually don't get through classics that fast. It wasn't exactly that it was so riveting I couldn't put it down, but I figured I might as well keep going because I was so close to the end anyway. This novella was inspired by a dream Stevenson had--queer, eh, how many of us have dreams that end up in our stories? That's what happened to me. . . .
  9. Divine by Karen Kingsbury. Another one with thematic material not exactly a good idea for any girl under thirteen--maybe even older. (Read my review for more details.) But it's such a beautiful telling of the way Jesus can transform someone's life. I doubt I would read it again because of the material in it--it makes one sick--but overall Kingsbury did a really good job.
  10. Until We Reach Home by Lynn Austin. About three sisters coming to America from Sweden in the late 1800s (I believe--it's been a while since I've read it). It was surprisingly well-written for a modern-day novel. 
There's list No. 3! How many, and which, of these have you read? Which ones are you most interested in? Which have you got on your reading list? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go 'head, leave a comment! I gladly respond to every one :)