Monday, December 29, 2014

Drafting Process // Vol. III

It strikes me that I am posting this for my benefit, not for yours. The idea with this third volume is to go in baby steps and force myself to stick to them.

THE COMPOSTING STAGE
1) Make a VERY UNDETAILED list about the plot and story order. I keep getting into too much detail which is making me go crazy.

2) Determine the major characters: hero, villain, alternative POV.

3) Determine the supporting characters: who surrounds the hero, who surrounds the villain, who surrounds the alternative POV.

4) Use exercises to help develop and figure out the major characters. I find that I have a good idea of a character's personality but often don't know why they are the way they are. I want to use five exercises for these peeps: 1) Love language, 2) Meyers Briggs personality type, 3) Diary written by them, 4) Character interview, 5) Character form.

5) Use exercises to help develop and figure out the supporting cast. I only plan to use a couple of the above exercises for these peeps--1) Love language, 2) Meyers Briggs personality type, 3) Character form.

THE PRELIM STAGE
1) Fill in the plot and story order. THIS is what's driving me crazy, but the fact that I've done a lot of it already should help me. Why is it driving me crazy, you ask? Because I have five different documents open at the same time--one for the filled in plot & story order, one for glaring plot holes, one for glaring detail holes, one for cultural problems/research need, and one for extra plot ideas. I think I'm just going to have to take this part really slowly and celebrate every victory! haha.

2) The 2-3 page synopsis. Where I get to cut my large mouth down into a certain amount of words. Not so fun.

3) The 1-page synopsis. Too much concision for me. I'll probably not have fun doing this part either.

4) The 1-paragraph synopsis.

5) The pitch.

THE FINAL STEPS
1) Outline the first chapter, then each succeeding chapter as it comes. 

2) WRITE!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Go 'head, leave a comment! I gladly respond to every one :)