Friday, February 15, 2013

Edith Adelon

per-fec-tion (noun)
1 : the quality or state of being perfect : as
     a : freedom from fault or defect : flawlessness
     b : maturity
     c : the quality or state of being saintly
2 a : an exemplification of supreme excellence
   b : an unsurpassable degree of accuracy or excellence
3 : the act or process of perfecting

    I remember writing my first character sketch on Amy March. She is a dynamic, realistic character with some good advice for writers. Well, Edith Adelon has the good advice--she just has no idea she's giving it--but nothing real or dynamic about her.
   In a nutshell, Edith is the definition of perfection. Literally. I have never come across a literary character so utterly without fault. Even Elsie Dinsmore can hardly compare. I already gave fault to Alcott for The Inheritance; now I will, briefly (as it requires nothing more), state what I think Edith can teach writers.
   Please don't try to make your characters perfect. No one is going to like someone like that. I believe that people want someone to whom they can relate, or someone who they could picture as their friend. "Static" characters like Edith don't have to be this boring; you can spice them up with a few faults; but in my opinion, a dynamic character is better suited to the role of protagonist.
   Instead of making your characters perfect, think of a fault you have or someone you know has. Maybe that trait could be added to your character. Everybody has their little quirks and various sins, which means that your hero or heroine would too in real life :)
   I don't want to come across as a snob. Please tell me if I'm doing that! I haven't ever even published a book or finished a book, and I'm certainly not the best writer. These character sketches are based on my opinions about writing and reading, and yours, and other peepses' (I'm slipping into Gollum language here), may be a little different. :) If ever you think I get too high on my horse in this series, don't hesitate to humble me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go 'head, leave a comment! I gladly respond to every one :)